As valuable as professional photographs are, taking selfies and uploading them to your social media accounts consistently is so important. It gives your readers real-time access to you and you are able to give them tid-bits of insight into your life.
Now even though you are taking quick snaps on your mobile phone for your selfies, it doesn’t mean that they need to be of sub-par quality. They still need to look as good as possible, because even on social media, no one likes a grainy image. We’ve got a bunch of tips and tricks for you so that your selfie game is on point. You’re welcome!
- Filters: Anything to look better right?! Filters are so useful to have but you need to be careful not to go overboard. You want to be subtle so that your followers won’t even notice that you edited your image slightly. It goes without saying that you should skip the sparkles, bright borders and other off kilter effects. This isn’t a high school journal, this is your professional portfolio and you should treat it as such. Your images should look like you, just slightly better.
- Graphics: This is a hard no. It may be tempting to add some text to your image with a few hearts dotted around but this will just make you look cheap and unprofessional, two things you definitely do not want to be seen as! Your images should do all the talking for you, you shouldn’t have to add anything more other than a watermark if you are that way inclined.
- Go solo: Of course in your day to day life, you are with your friends and family, but try not to use any photos that feature anyone but you. Your readers want to imagine spending time with you, and so seeing you pictured with someone else is a bit of a downer. The only exception to this rule is if you are offering duos or if you are collaborating with another entertainer, then snap away!
- Angles: If you already know your good sides then you are one step ahead, if not, it’s time to find out. The best way to do this is to schedule some time to take a bunch of selfies from different angles. You will soon see what your most flattering pose is and then you can work on perfecting it. Pay attention to the details, no one wants to look up your nose and you certainly do not want to make your forehead look double the size!
- Lighting: This is ridiculously important and can literally make or break your photo. Bad lighting makes images look dull and boring, which means no one will engage with that photo. Make sure that you are facing the light but are not in direct sunlight as this will cause a glare. Your best bet would be to stand in front of a window that lets in a ton of light. You will be amazed at what a difference it can make.
Now that you are on your way to taking the most amazing selfies, why not tag us in some on Twitter, we love to see all of our followers!